Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Dutch Regale’s Finnish Rye

Peter, my husband, loves to eat Friesian Dark Rye with old cheese. But we can't find this over here. Every time we visit our family in Holland he enjoys it at breakfast. 

A while back we found pumpernickel and rye flour and a recipe to make this Friesian Dark Rye, but it needs around 12 – 24 hours in the oven. This would make it very expensive bread. The pumpernickel stayed in the plastic container and waited for a new chance to come out.

This week I found it at the Fresh Loaf. Alan baked a beautiful Dutch Regales’ Finnish Rye from Maggie Glezer's Artisan Baking Across America. It looks like a normal dark brown bread; very tasty. I asked if it's sour and Alan said: ‘it was not sour at all; in fact there is a subtle sweetness’. It is baked as normal bread. So it was time for the pumpernickel to come out. 

And how happy we were when we tasted this delicious bread. It’s moist, in a good way, and very tasteful. If you have 2 slices of this bread you’ll be full. That’s good when you want to loose some weight and still eat the good things live brings. I bake a lot of sourdough bread with a bit of rye and was concerned if the taste of rye wouldn’t be too much. Strange thought when you want to bake an almost 100% rye bread. Oke, but I did bake it and we love it.

I changed a few things. I didn’t have flax seeds and used 7-grains instead. The original recipe calls for whole wheat flour and whole rye flour; I used less whole wheat flour and all purpose flour. And finally I replaced the molasses with 5% of my favorite roasted malt. 

 This is the original recipe (this is what I used):
Cracked Rye Soaker:
145 gr cracked rye
145 gr hot water
Soaked 8 hours 

Flax Seed Soaker:
50 gr golden flax seeds (7-grains)
100 gr hot water
Soaked 8 hours

Sourdough Starter:
20 gr white starter @100%
60 gr water
100 gr KA bread flour (all purpose flour)
Fermented 8 hours

Final Dough:
290 gr cracked rye soaker
150 gr flax seed soaker
180 gr white sourdough starter
215 gr lukewarm water
60 gr molasses (5% roasted malt)
11 gr sea salt
220 gr Hodgson Mill whole wheat flour * (100 gr whole wheat flour)
100 gr Hodgson Mill whole rye flour ** (220 gr all purpose flour)

*Formula called for 250g
**Formula called for 70g (I just wanted a little more rye flavor)
 This is what I did:
In a stand mixer I mixed all ingredients on low speed with the paddle for 5 minutes.
It was sticky and wet brown dough. I covered the bowl with plastic wrap and let it rest for 30 minutes. In the bowl I folded the dough onto itself a few times and placed the dough in my biggest round banneton. I had floured the linen heavily. I let it proof for 2 hours and had to leave the house for a few hours. It was hot in the kitchen and I decided to place the dough in the refrigerator for the night.

The next morning take the dough out of the oven and left on the counter while the oven pre heat at 240˚C. I also prepared for steam and placed a pan with hot stones.
Just before placing the dough on the baking stone I boiled 2 cups of hot water and poured this on the hot stones when the dough was in the oven. I baked it 15 minutes with steam at 230˚C and 40 minutes at 200˚C without.
  
Alan suggests leaving the loaf to rest for 24 hours to slice the loaf to give it some time to set up.
But this evening we had Peter’s lentil soup and it called for this dark rye. We carefully sliced some off. After one bite Peter said; ‘Can you make this again? Because now I don’t need to take Friesian Dark Rye back, when we visit HollandOf course I can. Thanks Alan.

I send this to YeastSpotting and BYOB 

1 comment: